10.08.2013

Florence

On our first full day in Florence we went to the Uffizi Gallery and a couple other little museums. We went to the Duomo - the main church in Florence. We climbed to the top of the bell tower (414 steps to the top) and looked out over the red roofs of Florence. Then it started to rain, so we headed town. While we were on our way down, and I was on the level with the bells on it, the bells started chiming. It was really loud, and scared me half to death, but it was awesome to be there while they were ringing. It was like being in Notre Dame and hanging out with Quasimodo. My feet still hurt after everyday, and every  morning...but every painful step is worth it! Florence hasn't been my favorite so far, but it's great at the same time.
View looking down the inside of the Bell Tower, and the dome of the Duomo

On our second day in Florence we went to the main piazza in Florence, the original location of Bernini's David and Giambologna's Rape of the Sabines, and then we went to the Medici Palazzo (palace), and to the Brancacci Chapel. They were both amazing! Oh, and we went to the Santa Maria Novella church - where Massacio's The Holy Trinity is. Then we were free for the rest of the day. So, we went and climbed the Duomo dome - built by Brunelleschi. We also saw the replica Gates of Paradise on the Duomo Baptism, as well as the original in the museum. (Left)

It was amazing, and only 50 steps higher than the bell tower we climbed the day before. We've definitely gotten our exercise in Florence. It rained most of that day, after climbing the dome, so we went back to the hotel and emailed, wrote in our class journals, etc. We went back out for Gelato and I shopped a little before it got too dark. The sweet old man at the Gelato shop let us try 5-6 different kinds before we chose - and they had Pera, (pear Gelato), it was the best moment on the trip so far!

 
We went to church in Florence as well. We only go to sacrament meeting while we are here because they do not have a large enough capacity to accommodate all 45 of us on a random Sunday. Later that day James  (Professor) decided to buy Gelato for all of us one more time before we left Florence. It was great! It was fun to walk home on the bridges over the Arno River, especially the Ponte Vechio - the main bridge with the stores and houses built on the sides of it. It was pretty awesome!

Today as we were buying things at the supermarket and walking away with our goods I realized that I really wanted to live in Europe! I just love the funny little apartments, the cobble-stone streets (even though my feet hate them now), the local people, and I would love to learn a new language! For some reason I just feel really at home here in Europe. Don't worry Mom and Dad, there is still a pretty good chance I'm coming home June 14th. I already bought my ticket, so I should see you on the 15th...and by that time I will either want to stay, or be sick of living out of a suitcase and want to come home. There are moments when I get a little homesick - I know what you are thinking - Melinda, homesick in Europe? You didn't even know that was possible, did you? But there are times when I want to be home and not here. That's what I get for signing up for an all-girl trip for 5 weeks to Europe. I just wish were all here. I am not so much home-sick for my bed, or Provo or anything, just for you guys. If you were all here, I would be set! Come to Florence! Actually, I take that back. Just meet me in London in 4 weeks!

We also stopped downtown for some classic Italian pasta. I got pesto spaghetti and it was really good! The last night we spent in Florence it rained, so almost everyone was hulled up in the hotel using the wifi (which means none of us were using the wifi). Me and one other girl decided to go walk around and see the town at night and see if the main street market was still up and running. We walked past designer clothes window displays and heard music ringing through the streets. When we got to the market most of them were closing down, but we caught one cart before they finished and I was able to bargain for a cute little leather purse and some thin leather bracelets with clasps. Score!

No comments: