2.15.2013

Being Alone Is Not So Bad

       I haven't posted anything for a couple months now because I keep getting great ideas for posts, but I don't have the time to write a decent blog post about them. So, here are some older ones I found in my drafts - It's funny that I wrote this two months ago, but I still feel the same way and I needed to hear my own advice.
      The other day I was glancing over my facebook home wall and I saw this quote, "I think it's healthy to spend time alone. You need to know how to be alone and not be defined by another person" by Oscar Wilde.
For some time now I have wondered why I am still single. I look in the mirror and think, I am beautiful. I mean, there are many more people out there who may be prettier, but I am beautiful. I just need someone who can see that. Lately I have also come to terms with the fact that I don't need to try to impress - well, okay; I am trying to come to terms with that. Sometimes I find myself dressing up when it doesn't matter, but if it makes me feel good and comfortable, why not? I heard somewhere that the time you spend on yourself in the morning, deciding what to wear and doing your hair, are all about you. but the minute you walk out the door, it's all about everyone else. So I try not to look in the mirror or fuss over my outfit too much while I am out during the day.
       People say that becoming comfortable in your own skin is something all teenagers struggle with, but I believe it is something which some people continue to struggle with into adulthood. I know I still am. I also think that you struggle more with it while you are trying to find a spouse/ boyfriend, etc because you are aiming to impress, while afterward you have accepted your style for what it is and are happy because it's not all about you anymore. Getting married or dating someone is like walking out the door and shifting your focus to others. It's not all about you anymore, but about the other person, and that's okay.
        I think we have to learn how to be alone, so that when we are with someone, we have something to smile about. But if we sit and wait to be the person we want to be when we finally find the person we are meant to be with forever we are cheating ourselves. We deserve to be us before we are become someone's other half. Dating helps us figure out who that person is, but I don't believe that we can be very comfortable dating if we don't know  and LOVE ourselves well enough. I love being me!


2 comments:

Brandon said...

You don't know how far ahead of most girls you are in being able to accept yourself and call yourself beautiful. Bravo lil sis!

Tasha said...

This is so good! I would add that the struggle of feeling comfortable in your own skin still continues after marriage in different ways. As a newlywed I wore more sweatpants, and then got to a point where I wanted to dress nice again.

And it is really hard as a mom to find the time to focus on yourself before the day begins. I've learned that taking a little time to exercise and dress nice helps me feel better, and thus be a better mom.