9.25.2012

if i die young

       Today in class my professor informed us that one of our fellow students in Art history, Alyssa Isom, passed away. This came as a complete shock, but I don't know all the details. She was a beautiful girl with big dreams and I never heard an unkind word leave her lips. Alyssa had the sweetest disposition. I can't believe she's really gone. I saw her just the other day at the Art History Assembly - she stood in front of me in line for food afterward. She was a TA for a class I am taking this semester. She was very modest and loved art history. When I see her picture, I keep thinking she is going to walk around the corner at any second. She was my age. In my major. She was about to graduate. It's cheesy, but the lyrics from the song If I Die Young ran through my head. This song hits a lot closer to home today.
       I couldn't help but think what would happen if I died today. A life is fleeting. A blip in time. We are all only one person, but together (and individually) we can make the world a better place. So, what are you doing to improve your world? Live every day to its fullest. No regrets!
       Alyssa was, and is, an inspiration to me. She really loved Art History, and worked really hard on her papers and exams. She was an amazing student. I can only attempt to be as studious as she was. Her passing also makes me think of the clip from the movie It's A Wonderful Life. I don't think any of us realize the amazing change we make in the lives of the people we associate with. The world is far better because we are living. I didn't know Alyssa well, but her presence in my classes made an influence on me, and made me want to be a better person. She didn't even know I felt that way - we were just fellow Art History students - but she really did make a world of difference.

We love you Alyssa! (left)

1 comment:

ME Moon said...

I guess I've always been a bit morbid but I was around your age when my first high school friend lost her husband to brain cancer. And the trend just continued--I've known far too many people to die far too young from crazy diseases etc. A guy I grew up with died of lung cancer when I was pregnant with Sophie (we were only 30).
You definitely need to live life to the fullest and hold those around you close, always!