2.05.2012

Studio Art

Last semester I took a Studio Art class for Art History Majors. In that class we did a little of this and a little of that; a little of everything. Ink painting, copper plate etching, linoleum engraving, egg tempura, oil painting, watercolor, sculpture, and fresco. Here are photographs of my work from last semester: I hope you have as much fun looking at them as I had while creating them! 
Ink Painting: Landscpape No.1
This was much like water color, but with only black paint. My teacher put a variety of things on the table and then told us to paint what we saw on our papers horizontally and it would automatically look like a landscape.



Ink Painting: Landscape No. 2
With this second one I decided to make a landscape of my own and experiment more with the paint. With the trees on the left I put down some paint and then blew the excess around to form the branches on the trees. 

Detail of Landscape No. 2
Egg Tempura Still Life (Value Study)
This black and white paint was made from egg whites mixed with black and white pigments. We watched the teacher and TA make the paints and then painted a value study of the still life that we would then cover with oil paint to finish it off. (Oil painting below) This was the first time I used oil paint ever. As I worked on this piece I realized that I knew a lot more about painting than I'd realized. This is one my personal favorite from the class


Oil Painting Still Life 
Copper Plate Etching: Tire Swing
I really wanted to do something really simple for my etching, with just the tree and the tire swing, but later decided to add the starry night-like breezes in the background. I think they made this etching great. I never got the print I made of this one back, so it's not pictured here, sorry. The breeze is easier to see in the print.

Linoleum Cut: Starry Night Motel
This was the first linoleum cut I did. My teacher and the TA checked on me as I was working, but we all failed to realize that my words were supposed to be backwards, so they would print correctly. The prints of this one still looked cool, so my teacher graded them anyway. 

Linoleum Cut: Girl with Hair
This was my second linoleum cut. Notice I decided to do an ambiguous girl, so that it was not possible to get her backwards. Below is the print of this linoleum cut. I really wanted to make her eyes look happy, but the pictures I found on the internet only had her with sad eyes. I love her hair, don't you?

Girl with Hair (Print)
Watercolor of, Bull Leapers Fresco from the Minoan Palace of Knossos
We had to do a watercolor the exact size we were going to do our fresco paintings. I chose this fresco from the Palace of Knossos of the Minoan people. 

Fresco of, Bull Leapers Fresco 
This is one of my favorite pieces of art from ancient art history. These people were rich and were great traders. The real version of this is a fresco in the middle were the figures and bull are, but the curved colored pieces on the top and bottom are actually made from different colors of marble that the Minoan's acquired from their trades. This is much harder than it looks. My teacher described it as being a lot like watercolor. Frescoes are painted plaster that has recently been applied, therefore making the paint absorb into the plaster really quickly. this is probably one of my favorites look-wise, but it was a hassle to paint. 

No comments: