12.24.2011

Painting is just another way of keeping a diary -Pablo Picasso

This semester in school I took a Studio Art class, which I enjoyed a lot. It's a course to introduce Art History Majors to a little of what it's like to work with each medium we study in our other courses. Instead of quizzes every week, our professor assigned us a visual journal. We were to spend a minimum of three hours on it each week, then turn it in on Wednesday nights, when he would look over them and give us a grade out of 10.

Week 1 (Colored Pencil, Printed Pics)

 Me playing around (all colored pencil)

Week 2 (sharpie and magazine pic)

Week 2- My overall favorite (colored pencil and cut-outs from magazines) 
Me playing around again (watercolor, colored pencil on top)
                   Week 3 (all magazine pages, colored pencil numbers)
Week 4  (colored pencil, green sharpie words)
 

(also) Week 4 (Marker, printed pic done in colored pencil)

Week 5  (all printed pictures)


Week 6 (colored pencil, sharpie, printed pic)


Week 7 (magazine pics, blue marker, shimmer fingernail polish)

Week 8 (colored pencil with magazine paper outlines)

                                 Week 9 (stamp ink, layered rice paper)


Fun Fact: This flower page I stamped with the cut-off end of a celery stalk. I was helping my Mom cut some up for a recipe and the end looked like a flower, so I kept it. Dried it. Then covered it with ink and stamped it on my journal pages. I also make some wrapping paper to wrap my Christmas presents with by repeating it over and over again. It took a long time, but it looks really cool. Below are photos of the paper.

Week 10 (magazine paper, acrylic paint wash for antiqued look)


Final Week (magazine paper collage, colored pencil, black sharpie, layered rice paper, and b/w print)

For this last visual journal we were supposed to include our academic and career goals. On the left page there is the shadow of a girl made out of words (Editing Minor) and art in the background (Art History Major) with a few pieces of my previous journals. On the left page is a sculpture of a foot (something I would like to aspire to), more art in a studio (also want to have one of those), a piece of my linoleum print, a cool old camera (of course!), and both pages are backed with pieces of text. This is one of my favorite weeks. It is also probably what my teacher was looking for the entire semester....well, I got there eventually, right? Isn't that the point? I had a lot of fun with this class, but if I learned nothing but that making art for someone else isn't very fun, it was worth it to me! I made some great friends along the way too! :D

No comments: